Friday, September 11, 2009

Lessons Learned from a BYU Victory!

I'm still floating on Cloud 9 after that BYU Victory over Oklahoma! :) It really makes me believe in miracles (well I already believed in those but it help increase that belief even more!;););) Hee... Hee.. ) However, I know it sounds really funny but I learned alot from that game... That Miracles do Happen, Victory does come after defeat but only with a whole lot of faith and a serious amount of hard work. I watched that goal line stand and counted 5 times the defense stopped the running play and 2 times they stopped the throwing play. That's 7 stops altogether. That was amazing! It has been said that a goal line stand is almost as rare as blocking a field goal kick. Bronco Mendenhall described the game as being won by a whole lot of Grit and Determination. That game was not won easily, but they overcame what everyone else thought to be impossible. Sounds alot like life eh?

We missed Stake Conference because we were at Mark's parents homecoming but one lady shared what was said... At the Adult Session of Conference the General Authority asked people about there concerns and spent alot of time discussing them. Then the next day he expressed something I felt was pretty profound. He said I am concerned that many of you are carrying a heavy burden and feel as if in order to be a succesful saint that you feel as if everyone around you has to be making good choices and that and that all has to be going well in your life. However, that is far from the truth, a successful saint is one who is doing their best and the reality of life is that there will be people all around them not making the choices they should be, things will not always be turning out as they planned and there will be challenges and there will be trials but the Savior promised peace through them and strength to help us endure.

In our sealing our sealer said a line that I'll always remember he said life is like a football game, it wouldn't be any fun if the opposing team didn't show up. He's so right life is full of challenges and opposition, we'd never have an opportunity to prove ourselves like that defense did when it almost seemed like defeat was sure and they stood their ground at that goal line and overcame and inspired us all. The opposition gives us the opportunity to show what we are made of and Oh the Joy of Victory!!!!

Dallin H. Oaks said something along the lines that we know who wins in the end, we just have to decide on which side we will stand on. "The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake, I’ll never, no never, I’ll never, no never, I’ll never, no never, no never forsake!" I really do love the game of life and all its challenges and Joys. I also realize that in football and life there is more than one game and more than one season and each new game and season is an opportunity to prove ourselves once more. Although we may seem defeated at times there is always the atonement that not only redeems us from sin but heals the wounds of injuries suffered during many of lifes defeating moments and the Master Healer comes in and heals us all and gives us a new season and new victories and a new chances to start again. How greatful I am for Him.

No comments: