Okay so I realize I let myself blog at a low point... but things have gotten much better. My right hand is getting alot better I've been able to take care of Jaden again. The night when I last posted I was a little discouraged with the whole situation with my hands. I had a 'why me' attitude and so I blogged until 3 a.m. to work out my frustration and it helped and then the very next morning it seemed as if Heavenly Father read my blog and heard my prayers. I was looking for the BYU vs. Texas A&M game to record for Mark when I saw a BYU Devotional on with Dallin H. Oaks. It felt as if Heavenly Father was speaking directly to me and my situation. I tuned in right at this part...
Elaine Cannon reminds us of an important way these blessings come and how we can make the most of them. “When we are pushed, stung, defeated, embarrassed, hurt, rejected, tormented, forgotten—when we are in agony of spirit crying out ‘why me?’ we are in a position to learn something” .....
Elder Marvin J. Ashton of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles gave a modern example of this in a conference address some years ago. He quoted a young friend who lost his hand when it was crushed in a hydraulic press.
“During the first night there were thoughts of ‘Why me? Was it something in my past? What have I done to deserve this?’ Then I thought, ‘No more rodeo, football, or skiing,’ and I wondered what type of a woman would want a one-handed husband.”
Then came a fast Sunday when this young man gathered the courage to thank everyone for their prayers in his behalf. He later recalled:
“After the testimony meeting, an admired friend gave me a special blessing. So many questions were answered during his blessing. He told me this accident was not punishment for anything I had done but, rather, an opportunity to help me become a better person and to amplify those particular traits which needed to be developed. He shared the thought that this challenge could make me more understanding of people, problems, and life. As I look back now, each point of his blessing and encouragement has helped in a very fulfilling way.”
The young man concluded: “Today as I look back, I see the challenge of adversity as something upon which to build”
Many thousands of us were strengthened by observing President Spencer W. Kimball. During his long lifetime, he was tortured by the most severe physical afflictions, including boils, life-threatening heart ailments, and the devastating throat cancer that crippled his voice. His noble response to those adversities inspired all of us and helped us respond to our own adversities.
President Kimball gave us these inspired thoughts on the blessings of adversity:
“I’m grateful that my priesthood power is limited and used as the Lord sees fit to use it. I don’t want to heal all the sick—for sickness sometimes is a great blessing. People become angels through sickness. .… No pain suffered by man or woman upon the earth will be without its compensating effects if it be suffered in resignation and if it be met with patience”
Dallin H. Oaks, “Adversity,” Ensign, Jul 1998, 7
From an address given at Brigham Young University on 17 January 1995
Listening to this I realized although I've been struggling with my hands for quite sometime I realize I don't have even close to the kind of trials many are going through and this too shall pass. I find it so amazing how aware Heavenly Father is of our needs and how we are never left alone in our adversities, He is always with us and always ready to bless us if not with healing at the moment with understanding to get through until we are healed. I know that this experience is for my benefit and my learning and I am grateful for it. As I was thinking about all this I was reminded of this poem by Og Mandino
Please Forgive Me When I Whine...
Today, upon a bus,
I saw a girl with golden hair,
And wished I was as fair.
When suddenly she rose to leave,
I saw her hobble down the aisle.
She had one leg and wore a crutch.
But as she passed, she gave me a smile.
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have 2 legs, the world is mine.
I stopped to buy some candy,
The lad who sold it had such charm.
I talked with him, he seemed so glad.
If I were late , it'd do no harm.
As I left, he said to me,
"I thank you, you've been so kind.
It's nice to talk with folks like you.
You see," he said, "I am blind."
Oh, God , forgive me when I whine.
I have 2 eyes, the world is mine.
Later while walking down the street,
I saw a child with eyes of blue.
He stood and watched the others play.
He did not know what to do.
I stopped a moment and then I said,
"Why don't you join the others, dear?"
He looked ahead without a word.
And then I knew, he couldn't hear.
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have 2 ears, the world is mine.
With feet to take me where I go.
With eyes to see the sunset's glow.
With ears to hear what I need to know.
Oh, God , forgive me when I whine.
I have been blessed....the world is mine.
I realized how greatful I am for all that I have been blessed with. Yes God, please forgive me when I whine...
Pre-Christmas and Christmas eve
2 years ago
1 comment:
I love that poem!! but sometimes we all need to get it out...it helps realize what we have!
Post a Comment