Thursday, January 22, 2009

And the Government shall be upon his shoulder


I was watching the inaguration two days ago and just like most amazed at the millions of attendees, the traditions, the historical importance of it all. I also listened with sadness as there were many shots taken at the last administration and the man whom they blamed most of it for. I felt as if I wanted to reach out and put my arm around the man and let him know that I appreciated the job he tried to do. I know I'll never fully understand the weight of the responsibility or the difficulty of the task he had to do. I know that he was dealt a pretty rough hand of circumstances throughout his administration and I'm grateful that he didn't buckle under the weight of it all and I wish I could let him know that I appreciated that he put his best foot foward and tried to do the best with what he had. Though I didn't vote for the new man at the helm I do have hopes that he will put his best foot foward and strive to do what is right with the task he has been given.

As I was contemplating all these things on inaguration day I went to go put Jaden down for a nap and I opened the scriptures to read to him like I do before each one of his naps. We started the Book of Mormon over a couple of months ago and we happened to be at 2 Nephi 19 and verses 6 & 7 really hit me:
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; And the Government shall be upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of Government and peace there is no end, upon the throne of David and upon his kingdom order to it, and to establish it with judgement and with justice from henceforth, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of Hosts will perform this."

As I read this I realized whose Government and whose nation this really is. It's not the rebuplican's nation or the democrat's nation, it's not George W. Bush's or Barak H. Obama's it's not even the people's it's our Father's nation and His world and we belong to Him. It is when we turn to Him and put our trust in Him and His Son that we find what is truly right and what we truly need. Our success does not hang on the weight of one mortal man it rests in the Eternal Father and His Plan. And for that I am eternally grateful and it makes me even more grateful that we have a mondern day prophet to reveal that to us especially in the world we live in now.

5 comments:

Keri said...

I loved that post! I don't think it matters who is running our Nation on earth as long as we have faith in our Heavnly Father and in our Phrophets we will be ok!

Maren said...

Great reminder! Thanks Sondra!

Thomas Family said...

AMEN...seriously Amen!

Cami said...

I couldn't agree more. I may not agree with all the things this new president is for, but I respect the office he holds and I wish more people would look at it that way.

Angela said...

You are great. Thanks for putting into word the way I feel and felt too.